All about us and our club
We would like to welcome you to our site. We are
at the field every weekend, weather permitting. We are glad to see not only
experienced fliers, but also folks that would like to learn the hobby. Come by
and see us. For any questions, please feel free to click on the Contact Us link.
The Okefenokee RC Club (ORC)
is a group located in Waycross/Ware County Georgia that is devoted to the flying
and building of Radio Controlled airplanes.
Since the club’s beginning in
the late 70s, ORC has been a constant means for all age groups to learn this
wonderful hobby. The founding members which consisted of Jerry Lee, Freeland
Bolden, Tim Tison, Keith Douglas and possibly a few others, began with u/control
planes. They later progressed to some of the earlier RC airplanes.
The first place that the club
flew at was at the Ware County airport and the old Ware County High School near
Kettle Creek. Another earlier member, Larry Johnson, got the club permission to
fly in the industrial park. The club flew at this field for around 20 years
until Scott Housing built a plant there around 2003. At this time, the club
moved over to the field that we fly in today. When we first moved to the new
field, it was nothing but a mud hole that required a lot of work to develop the
The club is always open to
visitors and others who are interested in the hobby. Please feel free to contact
any member with questions and/or comments concerning the history of our club.
A little history
We peacefully co-exist with the other members of
The city of Waycross
lays claim to the famous Okefenokee Swamp. Okefenokee means "trembling Earth" in
Indian. The swamp is 700 square miles of floating islands, swampy water,
vine-covered cypress and black gum trees. It is infested with a large quantity
of cottonmouths, water moccasins, pond squaggan birds, and flowers. The swamp is
primarily ruled by an amphibious giant carnivore.
Swamp is a shallow, 438,000 acre (1,770 km²), peat-filled wetland straddling
the Georgia–Florida border in the United States. A majority of the swamp is in
Georgia and protected by the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge and the
Okefenokee Wilderness. The Okefenokee Swamp is considered to be one of the Seven
Natural Wonders of Georgia. The Okefenokee is the largest peat-based "blackwater"
swamp in North America, and one of the largest in the world.
the name comes from Hitchiti, an extinct Indian language related to
the Mikasuki language spoken by the Miccosukee tribe and many of the
Seminoles. The Hitichi original is okifanô:ki, meaning
"bubbling water", or alternatively "trembling earth", a reference to
its spongy bogs. Earlier, during the Spanish period, it was known as
Lake Oconi, a reference to the Oconi, a Timucua tribe of the area.
was formed over the past 6,500 years by the accumulation of peat in
a shallow basin on the edge of an ancient Atlantic coastal terrace,
the geological relic of a Pleistocene estuary. The swamp is bordered
by Trail Ridge, a strip of elevated land believed to have formed as
coastal dunes or an offshore barrier island. The St. Marys River and
the Suwanee River both originate in the swamp. The Suwanee River
originates as stream channels in the heart of Okefenokee Swamp and
drains at least 90% of the swamp's watershed southwest towards the
Gulf of Mexico. The St. Marys River, which drains only 5–10% of the
swamp's southeastern corner, flows south along the western side of
Trail Ridge, through the ridge at St. Marys River Shoals, and north
again along the eastern side of Trail Ridge before turning east to
the Atlantic. Longtime residents of the Okefenokee Swamp, referred
to as "Swampers", were of overwhelmingly English ancestry. Due to
relative isolation, the inhabitants of the Okefenokee used
Elizabethan phrases and syntax preserved since the early colonial
period when such speech was common in England, well into the
twentieth century. The Suwanee Canal was dug across the swamp in the
late nineteenth century in a failed attempt to drain the Okefenokee.
After the company's bankruptcy, most of the swamp was purchased by
the Hebard family of Philadelphia, who conducted extensive cypress
logging operations from 1909 to 1927. Several other logging
companies ran railroad lines into the swamp until 1942; some
remnants remain visible crossing swamp waterways. On the west side
of the swamp, at Billy's Island, logging equipment and other
artifacts remain of a 1920s logging town of 600 residents. Most of
the Okefenokee Swamp is included in the 403,000 acre (1630 km²)
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge.